Kwakiutl First Nation Co-Management: Stewardship, Community, Land, Culture
Kwakiutl Territory, May 12 2022 - The team at Lions Gate Forest Products Ltd. is honoured and excited to have entered into a co-management agreement with our hosts and neighbours the Kwakiutl Nation.
In this relationship, Lions Gate first and foremost upholds the stewardship values and sustainable development goals (SDG's) of the Nation. Transparency, good governance, grassroots community connections, economic equity, and new and innovative ways of working on the land base and in our communities are core principles in this co-management agreement.
Lions Gate and Kwakiutl Band Council collaborated for three years and two Band Councils in a processes of listening, learning, sharing and planning. Lions Gate is honoured to have the trust of the Nation and to be embarking on a positive co-management agreement.
From Kwakiutl Forest Office & Band Council Liaison Chief Grace Wilson:
"BENEFITS OF THE KWAKIUTL FORESTRY PROJECT
· Increased participation in stewardship and works performed on our land base, and see both increased stewardship values and increased financial returns from those works
· Increased planning and decision making in resource management with communities, Forest License and Tenure Holders, and visiting multi-national corporations.
· Economic benefits increased and secured for the Nation by participating in both the works already occurring throughout the territory and in emerging opportunities.
· We will develop new sustainable business lines, in alignment with the stewardship and resource plans of the Nation.
· We will create opportunities for employment and capacity building by strengthening partnerships and industry sharing.
· We will share in profits generated through resource works within our Territory.
· These actions will all occur according to our defined stewardship plan and management agreements."
Please contact Kwakiutl Forestry Office with any questions - email email@example.com or by phone 250-902-9133. Gilakas'la
Lions Gate Forest Products Ltd. (Lions Gate) is one of the Lemare Group Companies. Lions Gate offers Tenure Management services in British Columbia. Learm more about Lions Gate here: www.lemare.ca/tenure-management